Questions, wishes or suggestions? Simply contact us by e-mail or on Facebook.
1 Which foods contain folate?
Vegetables are particularly good sources of folate. Good sources are mainly spinach, tomatoes, legumes and potatoes. In addition, sprouts, wheat gluten and eggs contain a lot of folate. Folates are not only water-soluble, but also sensitive to heat. For this reason, foods that contain a lot of folate should be prepared gently so that not too much folate is lost during cooking. In addition, food should be stored away from light, such as potatoes.
2 What is folate?
Folate belongs to the group of B vitamins. Like most B vitamins, folate is water-soluble. When you buy folic acid preparations if you are planning to have children or during pregnancy, you should make sure that it does not contain any undesirable additives. The German Society for Nutrition (DGE) recommends that an adult should take 400 micrograms of folic acid daily. People who consume larger amounts of alcohol have a higher folic acid requirement. For women who want to have children, nursing mothers or pregnant women, the recommended intake of folic acid is 800 micrograms per day. The dosage and daily requirement can vary in certain life situations, such as pregnancy and breastfeeding or during heavy physical exertion. Height, weight and gender play an important role in calculating the requirement.
3 What tasks does folate perform in the body?
Folate carries ...
- contributes to the normal formation of red blood cells
- contributes to normal mental function
- helps to reduce fatigue and tiredness
- contributes to a normal function of the physical defence system
- contributes to a normal synthesis of amino acids
4. what are the health consequences of folate deficiency?
A folate deficiency can have various consequences. Firstly, it can lead to anaemia. Furthermore, it can lead to disorders in DNA synthesis. The consequences are disturbances in cell division. If the cell division of the human organism no longer functions, damage can occur in the digestive tract and bone marrow. In addition to cell division, growth processes can also be disturbed. If folate is not sufficiently supplied during pregnancy, the risk of malformations increases. These are often on the spinal cord or the brain. The best known form is an open back, also called spina bifida.
An insufficient concentration of folic acid can have various causes:
- through an incorrect or inadequate diet
- a disturbed absorption in the gastrointestinal tract
- chronic intestinal diseases
- Taking certain medicines
- increased need during pregnancy or lactation
Vitamineule® Folate: 5-MTHF capsules
In our online shop you will find our 5-MTHF capsules from Vitamineule®, which are completely free of artificial additives. Vitamin Owl® 5-MTHF capsules contain 800 µg pure folate per capsule in the effective form 6(S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate glucosamine salt. Each can contains 90 capsules. In addition to fast & free shipping, we offer a voluntary six month return guarantee for all products.
5. conclusion: Which foods contain folate?
Plant foods are particularly good sources of folate. Especially green leafy vegetables contain particularly large amounts of the vitamin. Spinach, in particular, contains a lot of folate. Other natural foods include lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes and peas. The vitamin is very sensitive to heat and air. Food with folate should be prepared gently, which means using less heat and less water. If the vegetables are cooked briefly, important vitamins are still present.
- Diet and cancer prevention: Dietary compounds, dietary microRNAs, and dietary exosomes
- Nutritional status and dietary intake of institutionalized elderly in Turkey: a cross-sectional, multi-center, country representative study
- [The effect of hemodialysis and continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis on renal anemia]
- Effects of early human recombinant erythropoietin therapy on the transfusion in healthy preterm infants